Monday, 4 July 2011

It's a wonderful life - the start of a new chapter!

Over the last five years, I've booked a round the world ticket, met the man that I would eventually marry, been made redundant, taken off round the world by myself (leaving said man behind me), come back home after seven  months away, got a new kitchen (pre-requisite of said man moving in), got a new job, turned 40, got cancer, got engaged, had chemo, got a cold head and then a wig, had a stem cell transplant, thought I was going to die, saw my chances of having children disappear, realised just what amazing friends and family I have, made it back to work only to get made redundant again and then three weeks ago, I married the man who stood beside me through all this crazy, terrifying rollar coaster - in a zoo! Yes, we got married in a zoo!


With this in mind, I feel like I've got a lot to say about a lot of things!

Strictly speaking, I shouldn't be here. I was diagnosed with a rare form of Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma in August 2009. By the time the doctors had figured out what was going on, it had spread to my spine - I started my treatment that same day. In terms of a cure, the doctors would only ever screw up their faces, shake their heads and say 'Oooooh - it's a tricky one'! In terms of percentages, I was given 40% chance of survival.

But I had my treatment, I gritted my teeth and got on with it and here I am now, over a year since my transplant, with 'no visible sign of the disease'. I feel good and and once more I can see the beauty in a sunny blue sky and more importantly, I can see the point in life again.

So, with that in mind and living inside a body which two years ago was dying, I've got a second chance to do amazing things. I don't want this blog to be all about my illness. I had it, it was horrible, hopefully it's behind me now. But I needed to mention it, to put things into context as to where I am now. I take nothing for granted, so in the mean time, while things are good and I feel well, I have decided that it is my job to have 'a wonderful and diverse life'.



Whether anyone will be interested in reading about my thoughts and adventures I don't know. If anything, it's more about me keeping a record of what I've done and what I do with my 'bonus time'. I need to make sure that I don't waste this time and that the effort that so many people put into me while I was ill was justified - it's my way of paying back.

So, this is the deal - I'll write, I'll try and do it as regularly as I can and we'll see what comes out and where this quest for a 'wonderful life' takes me! I wonder how many people will join me on my adventure?

4 comments:

  1. What a wonderful first blog alison. You are such a strong women anf someone to be admired. I wish you all the best and I feel very priveledged to be apart of your wedding day.x

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have exactly the right attitude. Enjoy every second

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow! Love this blog and totally admire you. I'm trying not to stalk you!! (just liked you on fb and you me) Have to confess that I live in Manchester too! x

    ReplyDelete