Monday, 31 October 2011

Published in 'Cross Keys' - SPC Oxford University

Well I've not quite made the 'famous alumni' page on the St Peter's College, Oxford University
web site just yet, but it's a start! 


Following an almighty thud on the front door mat, I've just ripped into the packaging of 'Cross Keys', 'St Peter's College 50th Anniversary Special Edition' Alumni Magazine.


While I am always keen to see what's happening at my old college, this time there was a reason for my hasty impression of Edward Scissorhands - I knew that there was something very special lurking on page 37 - me!


I'm one of three people featured in the 'Where are they now?' section.



It's 24 years to the month since I arrived as a fresh faced undergraduate - where does the time go?

Shrinking violet!
I did have the most amazing time at St Peters and Oxford holds a very special place in my heart. 

I went back there this summer and had a full on nostalgia trip (click here to read Oxford Blues).

Here is the magazine:

St Peter's Alumni Magazine.



Page 37.
About me.
 
Alison Staples
1987, Zoology

“In October 1987,” recalls Alison, ‘Pump Up the Volume’ by M/A/R/R/S was at No 1 in the charts. When I arrived for my first week as a student in Oxford, I had taken their advice quite literally and arrived with enormous hair.” 

After a brief flirtation with academia Alison was sufficiently inspired by her earlier experience manning the phones for the College’s first ever fundraising telethon to embark on a career in fundraising.

“I tried,” she says, “through Keep Britain Tidy, The National Library for the Blind and The Christie (cancer) Charity to make the world a better place.” She has had a hand in raising around £25 million over the years. “Even better,” through her work for Keep Britain Tidy, “I’ve been a Womble!”

They say that life begins at 40, but for Alison it very nearly stopped when she was diagnosed with a rare form of Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma. After two very challenging years, things are now definitely on the up again. “I’m well (though reluctant to use the term ‘all clear’),” and this summer Alison celebrated her wedding to Tristan Pocock, a lecturer at The University of Manchester. They married at Chester Zoo – as befits a zoology graduate.

“Having been given a second chance,” says Alison, “I’m trying to put my life back together and make this extra time I’ve been given count. I’m taking on new challenges and doing my best to have a wonderful life. I don’t think I’ve done too badly so far.”

She now writes a highly-subscribed blog, which you can visit at www. alison-staples.blogspot.com

No comments:

Post a Comment